Associate Professor/Devon Endowed Professor of Mathematics
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Maxim Doucet Hall
Lafayette, LA 70504
Office: Maxim Doucet Hall 408
Curriculum Vitae (last updated: 08/2022)
I am an Associate Professor and Devon Endowed Professor of Mathematics
at the University of Louisiana at
Lafayette. Before coming to Louisiana, I was a postdoc at the University
of Aberdeen, the University of
Montana, and Rutgers
My research is on the structure of finite groups, especially
around a prime p. I tend to think most about fusion systems
and their associated homotopy theory and homological algebra,
geometries and subgroup complexes of finite groups, and modular
Monday 9-10, Wednesday 8-10, Thursday 11-12, or by arrangement.
- Math 465: Modern Algebra I
- Math 665: Topics in Algebra (Lie algebras)
- Cohomology on the centric orbit category of a fusion system
(arXiv), with George Glauberman
- Partial groups as symmetric simplicial sets (arXiv), with Philip Hackney
- Realizing finite groups as automizers (arXiv), with Sylvia Bayard
- Punctured groups for exotic fusion systems (doi, arXiv), with Ellen Henke and
Trans. London Math. Soc. 10 (2023), no. 1, 21-99.
- Weights in a Benson-Solomon block (doi, arXiv), with Jason Semeraro
Forum Math. Sigma 11 (2023), Paper No. e60.
- Fusion systems with Benson-Solomon components (doi, arXiv),
with Ellen Henke
Duke Math. J., 171 (2022), no. 3, 673-737.
- Rigid automorphisms of linking systems (doi, arXiv), with George Glauberman
Forum Math. Sigma 9 (2021), Paper No. e23.
- Centers of Sylow subgroups and automorphisms
(doi, arXiv), with George
Guralnick, and Gabriel Navarro
Israel J. Math 240 (2020), no. 1, 253-266.
- Weight conjectures for fusion systems (doi, arXiv), with
Adv. Math. 357 (2019), 40pp.
- Extensions of the Benson-Solomon fusion systems
with Ellen Henke
in Geometric and Topological Aspects of the Representation
Theory of Finite Groups,
Springer Proc. Math.
Stat. 242 (2018), 251-268.
- Fusion systems with some sporadic
arXiv), with Julianne Rainbolt
J. Algebra 489 (2017), 165-178.
- Control of fixed points and existence and uniqueness
of centric linking systems (doi,
with George Glauberman
Invent. Math. 206 (2016), no.2, 441-484.
- A characterization of the 2-fusion system of
J. Algebra 428 (2015), 315-356.
- The Thompson-Lyons transfer lemma for fusion systems
Bull. Lond. Math. Soc. (2014) 46 (6): 1276-1282
- Weak closure and Oliver's
p-group conjecture (doi, arXiv), with David J.
Israel J. Math. 197 (2013), no. 1, 497-507.
- 2-subnormal quadratic offenders and Oliver's p-group
conjecture (doi, arXiv)
Proc. Edin. Math. Soc. 56 (2013), 211-222.
- Analogues of Goldschmidt's thesis for fusion systems (doi, arXiv), with Sejong Park
J. Algebra 324 (2010), 3487-3493.
- A characterization of the 2-fusion system of L4(q)
Ph.D. Thesis, The Ohio State University, 2012.
International Conference on
Mathematics and its Applications [virtual], Ho Chi Minh City, July
and applications: new perspectives, Newton Institute, Cambridge,
July 2-30, 2022.
Theory in Florence III, Florence, June 29-July 2, 2022.
Groups and Friends Conference, Hofstra, June 3-5, 2022.
Fall Western Sectional
Meeting [virtual], University of Denver, May 14-15, 2022.
Regional Algebra Conference, Georgia College, March 18-20, 2022.
and applications: new perspectives, February 20 - March 7,
City, University of
London, January 30-31, 2020.
Groups, representations and applications: new
perspectives, Newton Institute, Cambridge, January 4 - February 1, 2020.
of South Alabama, Mobile, December 5-6, 2019.
University of Colorado Colorado
Springs, November 13-15, 2019.
Fall Western Sectional
Meeting, Riverside, November 9-10, 2019.
University of California, Santa Cruz, November 6-8,
Fall Eastern Sectional
Meeting, Binghamton, October 12-13, 2019.
and geometries, BIRS, Banff, August 25-30, 2019.
Group Theory Summit, San Marcos, August 22-24, 2019.
Joint Mathematical Meeting, Quy Nhon, Vietnam, June 10-13,
finite groups, Oberwolfach, March 24-30, 2019.
Spring Southeastern Sectional Meeting, Auburn, March 15-17,
Northern Illinois University, Dekalb, November 15-19, 2018.
University of Chicago, May 12-23, 2018.
Southern Regional Algebra
Conference, Auburn University at Montgomery, April 20-22,
Representations of finite
and algebraic groups, MSRI, April 9-13, 2018.
Zassenhaus Groups and Friends
Conference, University of South Florida, April 6-8, 2018.
Spring Central Sectional, Ohio State, March 17-18, 2018.
MSRI, February 11-24, 2018.
- Math 666: Advanced Topics in Abstract Algebra II (Spring 2019, Spring 2023)
- Math 665: Advanced Topics in Abstract Algebra I (Fall 2018, Fall 2022)
- Math 597: Special Topics (Spring 2019, Fall 2022)
- Math 109: Pre-calculus Algebra (Fall 2022)
- Math 566: Abstract Algebra II (Spring 2018, Spring 2022)
- Math 362: Elementary Linear Algebra (Fall 2020, Spring 2022)
- Math 360: Fundamentals of Mathematics (Fall 2021)
- Math 565: Abstract Algebra I (Fall 2017, Fall 2021)
- Math 562: Linear Algebra and Applications II (Spring 2021)
- Math 497: Special Topics (Spring 2019, Fall 2020, Spring 2021)
- Math 561: Linear Algebra and Applications I (Fall 2020)
- Math 466: Modern Algebra II (Spring 2020)
- Math 465: Modern Algebra I (Fall 2019)
- Math 270: Calculus I (Fall 2019)
- Math 250: Survey of Calculus (Fall 2017)
- Introduction to Linear Algebra (Spring 2016, Fall 2015)
- Introduction to Abstract Algebra (Fall 2015)
- Intro to Abstract Algebra (Spring 2015, Fall 2014, Fall 2012)
- Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning (Spring 2015, Fall 2014)
- Introductory Linear Algebra (Spring 2014, Spring 2013)
- Calculus II for the Mathematical and Physical Sciences (Fall 2013)
- Honors Calculus II (Fall 2012)